
New feature on my blog that I've been wanting to do for a while: Artist Spotlight. This feature will highlight musically and/or lyrically talented artists who I believe do not get enough credit and exposure, despite their abilities.
Anyway, the first artist that I've decided to feature is Somalian MC, K'naan. You might or might not have heard of him. Perhaps you have heard his hit, Wavin' Flag. I absolutely love the poetic messages behind his music. Even my husband/favorite reggae artists, Damian Marley is a fan of K'naan, has said good things about him and his music, and has gone on a European tour with him.
Critics have said K'naan has "a sound that fuses Bob Marley, conscious American hip hop, and brilliant protest poetry." His voice and style have been compared to Eminem, but his subject matter is very different; according to K'naan, he makes "urgent music with a message", talking about the situation in his homeland of Somalia and calling for an end to violence and bloodshed. [via wikipedia]
No comments:
Post a Comment